Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Triumphant Return

Note: This is not actually me, but rather the most appropriate picture that came up when I Google Image searched "Triumphant Return."

I know that most of you were probably worried that I had lost so much weight that I ceased to exist, but worry not. In fact, quite the opposite is true. Since my March 1st 10-pound shocker, I've really only lost about 1-3 pounds. Katy just lost 3 pounds in a week. I think we have ourselves a real horse race here, folks.

OK this post is going to be long, but I owe you all like 50 posts, so take what you can get, alright? I'll use headings to limit the rambling.

Katy is incredible.
What always blows my mind when reading Katy's posts (beside her bottomless well of charm, of course) is that she never just says, aww screw it. That doesn't mean she doesn't have fun (using the standard Former Fatties definition of "fun:" eating things too delicious for their own good or drinking). It means that she almost always makes healthy choices, even when out with friends, and when her choices end up less than healthy, she does her best to count the points. That is why Weight Watchers rules, because it lets you do that. I'm just a barrel of excuses, when Katy proves you don't have to make excuses. I plan to use "What Would Katy Do?" as my mantra for the next 65 days. 

I love that this has become a super close competition, as it just makes the "No excuses" part so much more important.

Two Major Life Announcements
While I've loved every moment of karmagroove, when I got into this business it was always my intention to be a composer. When Auria took me under her wing and offered me a job, I happily switched gears. It would have been madness to pass up the opportunity to really learn this business from the best, most jaw-droppingly experienced producer in the biz. Especially since we have so much fun. karmagroove has allowed me to take on a level of responsibility and experience that I'm sure no one my age has been given. When I was a senior in college, I was taking calls from clients solo and delivering revisions and finals to them. I can edit and upload a few tracks to a client without breaking a sweat, even when they ask for it in an unreasonably short period of time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get to heaven and God is going to say, "You're welcome." I'll say, "For what, God?" God will thunderously laugh and say, "For putting 19 year old Bobby Rowe in the right place at the right time in order to work with Auria." 

I just realized in that whole paragraph I didn't actually MAKE my first announcement. Way to avoid rambling, BoRo. OK, drumroll...I'm leaving karmagroove in order to become a freelance composer. Since I know half the battle in this game is how good your stuff sounds, not the strength of the composition, I'm going to audio engineering school full time from April - December. Its a few hours a day, and I plan to spend the rest of the hours practicing like a crazy person / working out / not eating. 

I just realized that there is a beautiful symmetry to my arc at kg: When I got there, I was at my all-time adult low of around 175 lbs. I gradually swelled back up to 205 lbs. Now I'm leaving, right back in the mid 170's. I'm glad that I was a Fattie for at least part of my time there. Everyone can remember me by the dent I left in the couch. 

That pretty much segues into life announcement two: I'm moving back to Long Island at the end of May (when I will be hot.) Paying for school + no more steady job = moving home. This is sad but a decent chunk of my friends still live with the rents on LI, and the other chunk lives in Brooklyn. Guess what folks, it took me an hour to get to your apartment in Brooklyn from Astoria anyway. MTA, I'm sure you're reading this: trips that are 10 minutes by car should not take over an hour by subway. 

The moving home thing is relevant because whenever I'm home, I pretty much go into f-it mode and eat cookies, cheese, and checkers. (I'd say pizza, but when do I NOT eat pizza). So June is going to be the ultimate challenge: lifestyle change + end of bet. I think KF and I will keep on top of each other though. 

My Final Excuse, I Swear
I've been crappy and unfocused and detached because of all the hasty life planning I've been doing over the past week, but my REAL final excuse is what transpired this weekend. Craig and I sat outside 30 Rock from 5 PM Friday until 7 AM Saturday in order to get standby tickets 3 and 4 for Saturday's SNL. My every dream came true when we were seated DIRECTLY in front of Kelly Clarkson, and she and I shared a wave before she blew the roof off the building using her superhuman voice. 

While sitting in the 33 degree weather, pretty much the only thing we had to keep us going was the next time we ate. And since it is a business district, the only things open were fast food. So I ate:

  • A BK Whopper Value Meal with Medium Fries (and a diet Coke)
  • A Magnolia cupcake and 2 cookies
  • A 6 piece Chicken McNuggets and Medium Fries from McDonalds @ around 4:30 AM
I then pretty much didn't eat all Saturday, which left me starving after the show at 1 AM, so I got the only thing I could find open, 2 slices of pizza. They were out of plain so I got sausage, only to discover that there was a layer of wall to wall pepperoni under the cheese. 

I would add this all up but I just need to get this posted, so lets assume it was about 150 points. I would be shocked if it was less than 100. 

Coming soon...
OK seriously Katy convinced me to do this rather than my laundry but I have people coming over and my laundry is everywhere. I vow to post a much shorter blog on what was supposed to be my final, most important heading: What the heck is P90X, and how many bonus points have you been accumulating while not blogging all of this time. 

I've missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment