Thursday, January 14, 2010

Vegetarian sweet potato and bean enchiladas

My co-bloggers seem to be MIA, I'm guessing Liz has been swept up by the pirates of the Carribean. And Bobby... not sure. Bobby?

Last night for dinner I tried a new recipe. It was inspired by Hungry Girl's Pumpkin Enchiladas, but then adjusted to my liking and also to include the ingredients I had en la casa.


The result: DELISH! And super filling. And, these guys are only 6 points per enchilada!

  • 4 Smart & Healthy Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas (or any other 1-point tortilla)
  • ~4oz (it came to 4 points on my scale) baked sweet potato, chopped/mashed
  • 1 cup of fat free refried beans
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1 cup bell peppers, chopped (I used 1 red and 1 green)
  • 2 tbsp taco seasoning
  • 2/3 cup shredded cheese
  • enchilada sauce
(My measurements of ingredients are approximate, since I prefer to measure in handfuls and pinches.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a pan sprayed with non-stick spray, brown the peppers and onions until the onions start to brown. Remove from heat and place in a bowl.

To the vegetable bowl, add beans (mine were room temperature straight from the can), sweet potato (I reheated mine since it was in the fridge) and taco seasoning, and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.

Lay out the tortillas. Spread the center with 2 tbsp enchilada sauce and 2 tbsp shredded cheese.

Divide the bean/vegetable mixture evenly amongst the 4 tortillas. Wrap and place seam-side down in a pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.

Bake for 5-10 minutes, until warm. Remove from oven, top with enchilada sauce and cheese, and bake until melted. Remove from oven, and enjoy, just like the boyfriend did:

No comments:

Post a Comment