Friday, February 5, 2010

And on the seventh day, he rested.

So after six days of pushing myself, today is my well-deserved day off. Honestly, I'd rather work out today but your muscles only grow if you give them time to recover. This may be the first day in a week that I'm not going to do any pushups.

A "rest" day poses its own set of challenges:
  • I always feel more "in the game" emotionally when I've got that just-worked-out feeling. Good news is, I wasn't that sore yesterday, but my whole body is sore today, so that helps.
  • Hmm...maybe this is just a rephrasing or extension of the same point, but damnit I want to use bullet points. When I work out, I always make healthier eating choices since I don't want to throw away the work I just did.
  • I know this is definitely an extension of the last bullet point, so shut up. I'm nervous about confusing an exercise-rest day with a food-cheat day.
Basically where this is all leading is that I'm going TGIFriday's for drinks tonight and I'm terrified. Katy helped me pick out a meal and Liz recommended not even looking at all the fried choices on the menu, but Fridays was Fat Bobby's Stomping ground. When I go there, I still usually get a 1430 calorie appetizer, breadsticks, and a chicken finger entre that I can't currently find the nutrition info on (probably because Friday's has purged the internet of this information.) I am just not going to drink, because it is Former Fattie February, but also because their drinks are too delicious. A conversation from the last time I went, with about 9 (straight) guys from work:
Waitress: What can I get you boys to drink?
Bobby: What is the gayest thing you have?
Waitress (without hesitation): Pomegranate Margarita.
Bobby: Keep 'em coming.
Honestly, this is going to be harder than working out six days in a row, but I'll be fine. Right? Right.

1 comment: